The best non-toxic crib is the must-have that every nursery needs. The mattresses and paints are made and processed using materials that are completely chemical-free, eco-friendly, organic, and safe for the child. These toxins include lead, phthalates, formaldehyde, and some Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs), causing problems for children. Let’s find out more in this post!
|AT A GLANCE: MY TOP 5 PICKS FOR THE BEST NON TOXIC CRIBS|
This post may contain affiliate links. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a small commission, at no cost to you. We only recommend products we genuinely love.
- Best Non Toxic Cribs – Quick Comparison
- What are non-toxic cribs?
- Are non-toxic cribs safe?
- In-depth reviews on 10 best non-toxic cribs
- #1. DaVinci Charlie 4-in-1 Convertible Crib
- #2. Dream On Me Aden 4-in-1 Convertible Mini Crib
- #3. Carter’s by DaVinci Colby 4-in-1 Low-Profile Convertible Crib
- #4. DaVinci Jenny Lind 3-in-1 Convertible Crib
- #5. Babyletto Hudson 3-in-1 Convertible Crib
- #6. DaVinci Union 4-in-1 Convertible Crib
- #7. Babyletto Modo 3-in-1 Convertible Crib
- #8. DaVinci Kalani 4-in-1 Convertible Crib
- #9. Dream On Me Carson Classic 3-in-1 Convertible Crib
- #10. Dream On Me Jayden 4-in-1 Mini Convertible Crib And Changer
- Guides on buying a non-toxic crib
- Frequently Asked Questions on non-toxic cribs
- 1. Are metal cribs non-toxic?
- 2. Can babies hurt themselves in the crib?
- 3. What are the safest baby cribs?
- 4. Are Delta cribs non-toxic?
- 5. Are Ikea cribs non-toxic?
- 6. Why are drop-side cribs illegal?
- 7. Where are Delta cribs made?
- 8. Where is DaVinci’s baby made?
- 9. What are Greenguard gold cribs?
- 10. Does GreenGuard mean anything?
- Final Verdict,
Best Non Toxic Cribs – Quick Comparison
|Product image||Product name||Editor's rating||Price|
|DaVinci Charlie||4.9||See lastest price|
|Dream On Me Aden||4.8||See lastest price|
|Carter's by DaVinci Colby||4.8||See lastest price|
|DaVinci Jenny Lind||4.7||See lastest price|
|Babyletto Hudson||4.7||See lastest price|
|Union 4-in-1||4.6||See lastest price|
|Babyletto Modo||4.6||See lastest price|
|DaVinci Kalani||4.5||See lastest price|
|Dream On Me Carson||4.5||See lastest price|
|Dream On Me Jayden||4.5||See lastest price|
What are non-toxic cribs?
Non-toxic cribs have construction made of natural, and eco-friendly material that doesn’t harm your children. Manufactured woods contain toxic chemicals, and emit volatile organic compounds (VOCs) into the air. This process is called off-gassing.
If the baby breathes in VOCs, he/she will have many respiratory problems such as asthma to cancer. Therefore, a non-toxic crib should be the top choice for infant babies.
We highly recommend solid wood in this case. Having a food-grade oil finish, soy-based, and water-based glue will ensure your baby’s safety as they are free of poisonous chemical substances.
To make sure that the crib is made from all solid materials. You should check it carefully before purchasing. For example, a solid wood crib can have a support board for the mattress made of plywood. Thus, asking the manufacturer about the support board’s wood origin is crucial.
Are non-toxic cribs safe?
Definitely, non-toxic cribs are the safest crib for your baby. The non-toxic cribs with mattresses and paints are manufactured from completely chemical-free, eco-friendly materials to protect the baby from any toxins. Moreover, the structure of a supernatural crib ensures a child’s sleep well and the side-bars keep the toddlers playing inside.
In-depth reviews on 10 best non-toxic cribs
#1. DaVinci Charlie 4-in-1 Convertible Crib
- Weight: 58 pounds
- Dimensions (LxWxH): 54.75” x 30.5” x 43.75”
- Material: Pinewood
- Color: Cottage grey, White, Grey, Espresso
The DaVinci Charlie 4-in-1 Crib is one of the best cribs in the market, offering unique features with 4 different modes and 4 adjustable mattress heights. Yes, it can be lowered as your baby grows, and converted to a toddler bed, daybed, and full-size bed.
This is a non-toxic crib for your little angel with GREENGUARD Gold Certified and it passes the most stringent emission standards. This product is finished in a non-toxic multi-step painting process and lead and phthalate safe, and it meets and even exceeds ASTM International and U.S. CPSC safety standards.
Made from solid sustainable New Zealand pine wood and TSCA compliant engineered wood, this crib is sturdy and will spend years with your child.
- Safe crib with GREENGUARD certification
- 4-in-1 mode including a full-size bed
- Clean, classic design
- The strong smell of the new product
- Scratches easily
#2. Dream On Me Aden 4-in-1 Convertible Mini Crib
- Weight: 20 pounds
- Dimensions (LxWxH): 39” x 23” x 36”
- Material: New Zealand pine wood
- Color: Black, Cherry, Espresso, French White, Grey, Natural, White
The Dream on Me Aden 4-in-1 is for parents looking for a great mini crib that provides all of a regular crib’s comforts in a smaller footprint. The Aden crib is safe for children with non-toxic parts tested and it is JPMA Certified to meet all safety standards set by the CPSC and ASTM.
This mini crib from Dream On Me converts to a mini daybed and twin-size bed with beautiful colors and it can hold the weight up to 40 pounds. The Aden crib is made of New Zealand pine wood and it is a durable and stylish crib with a clean design and a small footprint that can fit into any nursery. The product comes with all tools needed for assembly.
- Safe crib with JPMA Certified
- Good features for the price
- Ability to convert to a toddler daybed and a twin-size bed
- No wheels to move from room to room
- No mattress pad included.
#3. Carter’s by DaVinci Colby 4-in-1 Low-Profile Convertible Crib
- Weight: 39 pounds
- Dimensions (LxWxH): 55.9” x 39” x 36”
- Material: Solid wood
- Color: Grey, Grey/White, Navy, Petal Pink, Washed Natural, White
The Carter’s by DaVinci Colby is a charming crib at a very affordable price. This crib has GREENGUARD Gold Certified, meaning it has been tested for over 10,000 chemicals and it has a non-toxic multi-step painting process with lead and phthalate safe.
This Carter crib is made of New Zealand pine wood and it is very easy to assemble with clear instructions. The product has an adjustable mattress with 4 positions that can be lowered as your baby grows.
What is more, as a low profile crib, this product is designed for parents of all heights, making it easy to lift the baby in and out.
- Safe product with a low-profile design
- Simple and elegant that can fit any nurseries
- Easy to build
- Useful additional storage
- Conversion kit sold separately
- Not as sturdy as other competitors
#4. DaVinci Jenny Lind 3-in-1 Convertible Crib
- Weight: 40 pounds
- Dimensions (LxWxH): 54.75” x 40” x 41.25”
- Material: New Zealand Pine Wood and TSCA compliant MDF
- Color: Blush Pink, Cherry, Ebony, Emerald, Fog Grey, Lagoon, Navy, Slate, White
The DaVinci Jenny Lind is one of the most complex and customizable baby cribs that suits your baby’s needs as he grows.
The product is made from pine wood and it is GREENGUARD Gold certified for low VOC emissions, non-toxic, and free of lead, phthalates, and any other chemicals and compounds that may affect your baby’s health.
It is very safe with no moving parts and can be converted to a toddler bed and daybed. The DaVinci Jenny Lind is one of the best baby cribs with wheels and retro spindle posts that allow you to move around freely. The wheels can be locked to keep the crib stationary.
The product can be lowered as the baby grows with 4 adjustable mattress positions. It is also very easy to use and will last for a long time growing with the child.
- No moving parts
- 4 adjustable mattress positions
- GREENGUARD Gold Certified
- VOCs free
- Built-in wheels
- Can’t convert to a full-size bed
- A child’s leg can get stuck because the bars are wide
- Quite big, hence, hard to go through any bedroom door
#5. Babyletto Hudson 3-in-1 Convertible Crib
- Weight: 53 pounds
- Dimensions (LxWxH): 53.5” x 29.75” x 35”
- Material: New Zealand pine wood
- Color: Black, Espresso, Espresso/White, Grey, Grey/White, Washed Natural, White, White/Washed Natural
The Babyletto Hudson 3-in-1 is a safe and reliable crib with a beautiful aesthetic and mid-century modern lines. The Babyletto brand makes some of the best non-toxic cribs on the market and this Hudson is no exception with GREENGUARD Gold certified.
This crib exceeds ASTM International and U.S. CPSC safety standards with a non-toxic multi-step painting and staining process that’s free of lead and phthalates.
The crib is made of solid and sustainable New Zealand pine wood. It has 4 levels of height adjustment for the mattress with the ability to be converted into a toddler or daybed with the help of a conversion kit included.
The product is low to the ground for more stability and it has a simple but modern-looking design with 8 color variants.
- Sturdy crib with high-quality materials
- Conversion kit included
- GREENGUARD GOLD certified and safe for babies
- Modern-looking design
- Doesn’t convert to a full-size bed
- Expensive crib compared to other competitors
- Pre-drilled holes might not align perfectly
#6. DaVinci Union 4-in-1 Convertible Crib
- Weight: 36.9 pounds
- Dimensions (LxWxH): 53.5” x 30.5” x 33.5”
- Material: Natural New Zealand pine wood
- Color: Ebony, Espresso, Grey, Lagoon, Natural, White
The DaVinci Union 4-in-1 is one of the most affordable convertible cribs that can convert into a full-size adult bed. This crib meets all ASTM international and U.S. CPSC safety standards with non-toxic materials and lead and phthalate-free finishes.
The DaVinci Union is a convertible crib with the ability to convert into a toddler bed, daybed, and full-size bed with easy steps following clear instructions. It is also one of the easiest cribs to assemble with all the tools included. Moreover, this lightweight crib can be moved from room to room with the sleek and minimalist frame made of solid New Zealand pine wood.
- GREENGUARD Gold certified
- Adjustable mattress support
- Good value for the price
- Lightweight crib with minimalistic design
- Great for petite moms
- Scratches easily
- Visible screws and holes
- Some customers want better paint job and more secure joining points
#7. Babyletto Modo 3-in-1 Convertible Crib
- Weight: 60 pounds
- Dimensions (LxWxH): 53.25” x 30” x 34.75”
- Material: Solid New Zealand pine wood
- Color: Espresso, Espresso/White, Grey, Grey/White, White
The Babyletto Modo 3-in-1 is one of the best convertible cribs on the market with adjustable mattress positions. The Modo has been tested for over 10,000 chemicals and passes the most stringent emission standards with a non-toxic multi-step painting and staining process that is lead and phthalate safe, which meets and even exceeds ASTM International and U.S. CPSC safety standards.
This Babyletto crib can convert into a toddler bed and daybed with the included conversion kit to grow with your baby. The Modo is made with sustainably sourced solid New Zealand pine wood with hidden hardware and a rigid frame to make it stable and capable of supporting up to 50 pounds.
The convertible crib has slats on all four sides to check your baby from any direction or angle. The 4 adjustable mattress heights allow the mattress to be adjusted to a suitable height to fit your child.
- Greenguard Gold Certified
- Adjustable mattress positions.
- Sturdy and stable crib
- Weight limit of 50 pounds
- The mattress doesn’t cover every corner
- The anchors holding the mattress metal frame are not aligned with the end boards
#8. DaVinci Kalani 4-in-1 Convertible Crib
- Weight: 56 pounds
- Dimensions (LxWxH): 54.38” x 35” x 41.88”
- Material: New Zealand Pine Wood and TSCA compliant MDF
- Color: Cherry, Chestnut, Ebony, Espresso, Grey, Honey Oak, White
The DaVinci Kalani 4-in-1 is one of the classic cribs that can be a safe choice for your nursery.
This Kalani crib is made of New Zealand pine wood with a non-toxic multi-step painting process as a finisher and it is lead and phthalate-free. It has GREENGUARD Gold certified and follows all safety standards of CPSC and ASTM International.
The Kalani can convert from a crib to a toddler bed, then to a daybed, and finally a full-size bed with a headboard to grow with your child.
- GREENGUARD Gold certified
- Contemporary designs with multiple color choices
- Adjustable mattress positions
- Excellent finishes
- 4-in-1 crib (crib, toddler bed, daybed, full-size bed)
- Conversion kits not included
- Can easily be scratched off with a fingernail
- The feet might prevent the crib from being closer to the wall
#9. Dream On Me Carson Classic 3-in-1 Convertible Crib
- Weight: 36 pounds
- Dimensions (LxWxH): 54” x 31” x 46”
- Material: New Zealand pinewood
- Color: Black, Cherry, Espresso, Natural, Storm Grey, White
The Dream on Me Carson Classic 3-in-1 is one of the best baby cribs on wheels every parent wants to get for their nursery. The crib is made of solid, sustainable New Zealand pine wood with all the safety standards needed.
The crib is finished in a non-toxic painting process and it is lead and phthalate safe, meeting or exceeding ASTM International and U.S. CPSC safety standards. This crib is offered in three different modes for you to easily and quickly change between a baby crib, a toddler bed, and a daybed.
With the lockable rolling wheels, you can move the crib from place to place easily and move it aside to clean areas under the crib. The locking mechanism can keep the crib stationary. The crib has 3 level mattress positions that can be lowered as your baby begins to sit and stand.
- GREENGUARD certified and safe for babies
- Safety locking wheels
- 3 level mattress support
- Non-drop side for easy access
- Mattress sold separately
- The strong smell of paint for the first days
#10. Dream On Me Jayden 4-in-1 Mini Convertible Crib And Changer
- Weight: 64.5 pounds
- Dimensions (LxWxH): 56.75” x 29” x 41”
- Material: New Zealand pinewood
- Color: Black, Cherry, Natural, Storm Grey, White
The Dream On Me Jayden is a mini combo crib that can be a crib, a place for changing your baby, and storage. The Jayden is a safe crib that meets all applicable CPSC and ASTM safety standards and it is lead and phthalate-free with a multi-step non-toxic painting process.
This New Zealand pine wood crib is stable with sturdy rails and feet. The crib can grow with your baby with its ability to convert from a crib into a mini daybed and then a twin-size bed with easy steps following the instructions.
On the right side of the crib is the attached changing table that is detachable when converted into a twin size bed. This changer can convert into a stand-alone nightstand.
The Jayden has a traditional style with smooth arches and spindles and it is available in a wide color selection.
- Timeless design with a wide color selection
- Lots of storage for a space-saving crib
- Meets all safety standards
- Adjustable mattress support
- Mattress pad included
- Detachable changer
- No toddler bed conversion
- Small changing table
- A bit complicated to assemble
Guides on buying a non-toxic crib
Making a decision for a non-toxic crib is much harder than a normal one. Because an organic crib has its standard qualification, you had better get a deep understanding of it before getting one. We narrowed down some typical features of a non-toxic crib that make you less overwhelmed and have better browsing.
Cribs can be made from many different types of woods. But not all wood is safe for your children. The manufactured wood is often added with some toxic chemicals such as glues, fillers, and other harmful materials. You should avoid using manufactured wood like plywood, chipboard, and medium-density fiberboard.
The non-toxic crib should be made of organic solid wood, which is free from any toxic chemicals. Solid wood emits a tiny amount of formaldehyde, and it does not matter when compared to other manufactured woods.
Even though you choose a solid wood crib, you should consider the paint and finish. The perfect finish helps the cribs last for a longer time.
In terms of wood finish, the top option of non-toxic is water-based. Water-based finishes emit a fewer amount of VOCs because they use less harsh chemicals. Water-based finishes are quite friendly to the environment.
Some furniture brands disclose their finishes. Contact the manufacturer for further information about what type of wood finishes they use.
Food-grade oil finish
The food-grade finish is the safest in non-toxic finish types. You have many options such as beeswax, walnut oil, tung oil, and flaxseed oil,… This type of finish is recommended for babies in the initial stages like their teething. However, cribs that use this kind of oil are not much available on the market.
A baby crib has all parts put together by glue. You can find that the manufactured woods need an amount of glue to join components together whereas a solid wood crib doesn’t need too much glue to assemble.
In all cases, you should check the amount of glue present in the crib carefully. A small amount of formaldehyde-based glue can poison your baby. In fact, formaldehyde emits VOCs, which can lead to cancer and affect the physical health of kids.
So, what you need to do is to ask the manufacturer for the type of glue they use in the crib. Keep in mind that the safest non-toxic glue is water-based, soy-based, and organic glue. Cribs with those component glues are better choices.
One of the most necessary factors that make the crib safe is the mattress. You should take into consideration which kind of mattresses that the baby will use. The mattress is known as the most frequently used by your baby. Moreover, the infant babies have severely sensitive skin. It’s essential to use non-toxic mattresses for them to feel comfortable as good as possible.
You can choose mattresses made of organic cotton or natural materials like wool, coconut husk, and latex. They are brilliant choices. Other safe mattresses that need to be mentioned are synthetic materials like polyethylene and polyester. For some exceptional cases that can occur, you should carefully check if those materials are getting well with your baby’s reaction.
One thing you should notice is that avoiding using polyurethane foam mattresses. Since flame retardants are involved in this component, it’s a poisonous chemical that can lead to cancer and cause developmental issues.
The popular certification for safe cribs is the Greenguard Gold certification. With any crib having this certification, it was reviewed and tested to be non-toxic chemicals, especially the VOC emissions. It also proved that the crib is safe for babies.
Plus, we get further information about the manufacturing. That is the crib manufacturer follows the safety standards of ASTM International, CPSC, and TSCA. Certification is not the only feature when looking for a crib, but it can be a considered factor for you to have the basis to believe whether it is good or not.
Frequently Asked Questions on non-toxic cribs
1. Are metal cribs non-toxic?
All the cribs sold on the market by law have to meet the most current safety standards as set forth by the U.S. Consumer Safety Commission. There is no difference in safety between a brand new wood crib and a brand new metal crib. Furthermore, kids cannot bite into the metal cribs, resulting in even fewer busted lips. In conclusion, metal cribs are non-toxic and safe.
2. Can babies hurt themselves in the crib?
If you use a safety-approved crib, the baby’s hand or foot won’t get caught. Many parents think the baby will get hurt if they don’t use bumper pads, but this isn’t true because babies don’t have enough strength to hurt themselves seriously by getting stuck between the crib railings.
3. What are the safest baby cribs?
Some top-rated crib manufacturers are famous for having the safest baby cribs, including DaVinci, Babyletto, Delta Children, Dream On Me. Check out these products’ reviews to get an in-depth look at the safety features of the cribs.
4. Are Delta cribs non-toxic?
Delta cribs are made of high-quality woods and fabrics, and the crib mattresses are GREENGUARD GOLD certified, which indicates they contain low chemical emissions and contribute to healthier environments. Also, the Delta cribs meet JPMA toxic and chemical-free U.S. standards.
5. Are Ikea cribs non-toxic?
IKEA has a transparent chemicals policy and their cribs are made from 100% solid, unfinished beech wood, while the IKEA crib mattresses are free from harmful chemicals and meet strict safety requirements. Overall, Ikea cribs are the least toxic cribs available on the market that offer a lot of bang for your buck.
6. Why are drop-side cribs illegal?
Drop-side baby cribs were created to slide down one of the crib’s sides so that the caretaker could easily access the baby. Unfortunately, this design turned from a convenience into a safety problem because it creates a gap between the crib mattress and the drop-side, resulting in the babies getting trapped and suffocating in the gap. It is banned for manufacturers to make drop-side cribs. They also cannot be sold or donated.
7. Where are Delta cribs made?
Delta cribs are best-known for their low-price cribs sold in big box stores. These cribs are imported from China and Indonesia.
8. Where is DaVinci’s baby made?
The majority of DaVinci cribs are made of 100% solid New Zealand pine wood with voluntary ASTM standards in addition to CPSC regulations. The full-size cribs are JPMA-certified or GREENGUARD Gold certified and they are made in Taiwan, Vietnam, and China under the highest standards. The mattress pads are made in Taiwan.
9. What are Greenguard gold cribs?
Greenguard is an industry-independent, non-profit organization that offers certification programs for products and buildings. GREENGUARD Gold Certification is a voluntary third-party program that tests for over 10,000 chemicals and Volatile Organic Compounds to ensure the interior products are low in chemical emissions, decreasing indoor pollution levels.
10. Does GreenGuard mean anything?
When a product has GREENGUARD Certification, it meets strict chemical emissions limits and has been tested for more than 10,000 chemicals so that it is safe for indoor use, especially if there are children or the elderly in your house. These low-emitting products don’t release significant chemical compounds into the air and thus, they can reduce the chances of chemical toxicity in our indoor spaces. The GREENGUARD Certification was primarily developed for products used in schools and healthcare facilities.
Hopefully, after reading this list of best non-toxic cribs you found the right one for you. All these cribs are certified and meet all the current safety standards to guarantee your baby’s comfort, safety and give you peace of mind knowing that you can use them for years to come.